This week, we wish good luck to the participants of CLAIR’s Interpreting and Translating Course. They will undergo training for five intense days. I, and many Shimane JETs, took the training last year. It was fun to be out of ‘regular’ life for a week.
Once again, we have a collection of links. Please let us know if you have any suggestions. All articles and opinions are presented as-is and do not necessarily reflect the personal opinions of the PAs or the JET Programme.
- Happy 50th Birthday to Crown Princess Masako
- Children Threatened With Death if School Doesn’t Cancel Their ‘Bounenkai’
- NHK Proposes Making Citizens Pay For TV Even if They Don’t Own One
- UNESCO Adds ‘Washoku’ To Intangible Heritage List
- Japan Enacts Bill To End Discrimination of Out-Of-Wedlock Children
- DIET Enacts Controversial ‘State Secrets’ Bill
- How To Accomplish Great Things: Small Victories & Winnable Games
- Free Japanese Audio Books
- Why Do People Sign Up For English Classes?
- Why Do So Many Spouses In Japan Sleep In Separate Beds?
- Edo Period Paintings Reveal The Secret Face of the Japanese Snowman
- Ghostly Reminder To Change Your Snow Tires
- TBS Radio Podcasts
- Live Action ‘Attack on Titan’ Gets Release Date & New Director
- ‘Sparrow Face’ Is The New Duck Face
- Visiting Japanese Schools or How To Be A Rockstar In Japan
- English Teachers To Study Abroad
- 3D Printer Boom Lures New Wave of Japan Entrepreneurs
- Elderly People’s Manners Might Be Getting Worse
- Betsubara: Japanese Science Proves There Is Always Room For Mochi Ice-Cream
- Get To Know Gobo, The Root Vegetable
- Morgan Freeman iPad Finger Painting [VIDEO]
- Because Who Is Perfect? Creating Disabled Mannequins [VIDEO]
- 33 Signs You’re A New Teacher
- Paris Hilton’s Tweet About Nelson Mandela’s Death Was Faked
My Top 3 Japanese words of the last week were:
和牛[わぎゅう・Wagyu]: “Wagyu” Japanese beef
別腹[べつばら・betsubara]: “2nd stomach” to eat dessert
Finally, the joy and/or horror on this little girl made me smile. Maybe it will make you smile too.