You thought we were done with these and you were right, but now they’re back because it’s cold and typing keeps my fingers warm. I hope all the ALTs have made it back safely after the SDC at Sun Lake and I wish all the CIRs safe travels to Chiba for the National Conference this week.
- Nishikori Beats McEnroe in Charity Match (*Kei Nishikori is from Matsue)
- Japanese Man Runs on Arms and Legs to New Recor
- New US Ambassador Caroline Kennedy Arrives in Japan
- This Could Be The Most Macho 80 Year Old We’ve Ever Seen
- Domain Name suffix “.tokyo” to be Available Next Spring
- Shimaneko Gives Blood [Japanese]
- Bull Sumo Tournament on Okinoshima, 2013
- Video of 3 Cats and a Plastic Bag [100K+ views]
- Fake It Till You Make It: How I Translate Professionally With Imperfect Japanese
- Wrong About Japan & Sex
- 10 Creative Ways To Teach English
- The Ainu: Reviving The Indigenous Spirit of Japan
- 5 Fun Ways To Improve Your Fluency In Japanese
- Do You Know The Norovirus?
- All You Can Eat Whoppers At Burger King Japan
- 31 Combini Foods You Will Miss If You’ve Ever Lived In Japan
- This Year’s Mario Christmas Happy Meal in Japan is The Best! (You may recognize the author…)
- Cooking Tips That Might Change Your Life
My Top 3 Japanese words of the last week were:
大使 [たいし・taishi]: Ambassador (as in Caroline Kennedy)
盗撮 [とうさつ・tousatsu]: To take an illicit or inappropriate photograph of someone secretly (upskirting, for example)
吐き気 [はきけ・hakike]: Nausea
The Little Places
Have you visited the Eishiro Abe Memorial Museum yet? It’s a cool, little museum that lets you learn about this man, who was the master of Japanese paper, aka ‘washi’, and the techniques he used. You can even make some Japanese paper of your own using traditional techniques for a small fee. No booking required, but you can book in advance if you’d like.
Where: 1754 Higashi-Iwasaka, Yakumo-cho, Matsue-shi (Google Maps: http://goo.gl/maps/4RlEb)
Opening Hours: 9:00 ~ 16:30
*Closed every Tuesday.
Entry: ￥500 for adults
Home Page: http://abe-eishirou.jp/index.php
Finally, if you’re having a bad day – at least it’s not as bad as this (probably):