Visa Extension for 3rd year JETs

Visa Extension for 3rd year JETs

Re-appointed 3rd year JETs must visit the immigration office before their period of stay expires.  If you are finishing JET this summer, but plan to travel in Japan after your  visa is set to expire, you will also need to extend your visa.  All 3rd year JETs’ period of stay will end approximately on the last day of their appointment period.  The “period of stay” is also known as a “visa.”  If you stay past your period of stay, you will be in Japan illegally and may face serious consequences, such as, loss of employment, deportation, imprisonment, and fines.  Since renewing your visa is a lengthy process, please talk with your supervisor as soon as possible.  You are able to start the visa renewal process up to 3 months before your period of stay expires. We suggest that you start on this process ASAP.

Taking Leave for Visa Renewal

You may be entitled to “special leave (特休 tokkyu)” to travel to Matsue both times so you will not have to take paid leave (年休 nenkyu); however, you will not be reimbursed for travel expenses.  Please ask your supervisor if you are eligible for special leave.  In the end though, what kind of leave you have to take to renew your visa, will be up to your contracting organization. The immigration office can be busy, so I would recommend taking the entire day off and going in the morning.

Finding the immigration office

You will need to visit the Matsue branch of the Hiroshima Regional Immigration Bureau twiceThe hours of operation are Monday – Friday from 9 a.m. -12 p.m. and from 1 p.m. – 4 p.m.

Click here for a map, or you can use the address below:

〒690-0841 島根県松江市向島町134番10


TEL:  0852-21-3834

FAX :  0852-27-5864

Materials Needed for the First Trip

Application Form

For ALTs, it will be this form:

For CIRs, it will be this form:

“For applicant” pages should be filled out by the visa holder. “For organization”

pages should be filled out by your Contracting Organization or school (please check

with your supervisor about which).

  • 4 cm x 3cm photograph which fulfill these requirements:

  • Applicant must be alone and be facing forward without any head covering

  • Background should be plain with no shadow

  • Must be sharp and clear

  • Must have been taken within 3 months prior to submission

  • Approximately these dimensions (in millimeters):

  • Passport

  • Residence Card (zairyu ka-do 在留カード)

  • Possibly Need: supporting documents (Ask your supervisor/local immigration officeoffice about what you exactly need for this/if you need these, as the necessary documents may vary):

1) Documents certifying the activity, its duration and position of the person concerned:

  • Reappointment Intention Form

  • Employment Terms & Conditions/Contract in Japanese

  • Statement of Earning for previous year (gensen choushuu hyo or 源泉徴収票)

  • Certificate of Employment (zaishoku shomeisho or 在職証明書).

2) Documents certifying an annual income and tax payment:

  • Kazei Shoumeisho (課税証明書), available at local tax office or tax/revenue department in your municipal office

  • Nouzei Shoumeisho (納税証明書), available at local tax office or tax/revenue department in your municipal office

At the Immigration Office – First Trip

Go to your Immigration Office and take a number. When your number is called, submit the necessary materials. If you end up missing any documents, the office may allow you to mail it in, but this is not a guarantee. If you submit your paperwork and everything seems to be in order, they will give you a post card to write down your name and address on.  They will send this postcard to you once they are ready for you to come back to finish the visa extension process.

Note: When you submit your documents, they will not be returned to you (with the exception of your passport and Alien Registration/Resident Card). So if you need to make copies, make sure you do so before you go to the immigration office. When you get the postcard in the mail, it will state the period of time you have to go back to the office and finish the process. It’s highly recommended you go during this period, but if you absolutely cannot, please call the immigration office to reschedule.

Materials Needed for Second Trip

  • Postcard the immigration office sent you

  • Passport

  • Alien Registration Card/Resident Card

  • 4,000 yen Revenue Stamp (Shunyu Inshi or 収入印紙)

  • The Revenue Stamp is available at the post office, NOT the immigration office.  You can buy this at the Central post office in Matsue which is close to Matsue Station and the Matsue branch of the Hiroshima Regional Immigration Bureau.

At the Immigration Office – Second Trip

Go to the immigration office and take a number. When your number is called, give them your post card, passport, and Alien Registration Card/Resident Card. You will probably make your payment at this time. They will give you a paper to stick the revenue stamp on, and you’ll fill out how much you paid, what for, and sign the sheet. You’ll probably have to wait a bit again as they make your new Resident Card. Once it’s finished, you’ll be called up again and given your new card and your passport back.

Congratulations! Your visa had been renewed and extended. If you look at your Resident Card, it states how long your renewed visa is and when it expires.

IMPORTANT NOTE:  No new visa stamp will be placed in your passport. Basically, your Resident Card is your visa.

IMPORTANT NOTE:   Your visa will probably be extended for 2 or possibly 3 years.  This means that you probably won’t have to repeat this process next year should you decide to remain on JET for a 5th and final year. If your visa is only renewed for 1 year, you will have to repeat this process again next year.

Leaving 3rd Year JETs who plan to travel in Japan after finishing JET

3rd-year JETs who will not be re-appointed will need to change their residency status to Temporary Visitor.

Necessary Documents to apply for a Temporary Visitor Status of Residence:

  (a) Application for permission to Change the Status of Residence

  (b) Passport

  (c) Residence Card (zairyu ka-do 在留カード)

  (d) Explanation for changing the Status of Residence (zairyu shikaku henko riyusho): a written explanation of your reasons for staying in Japan, including an itinerary.

  (e) Documentation from your contracting organization that shows the last day of your appointment and the schedule date of departure.

  (f) Possibly Need: A copy of the airline ticket for passage out of Japan or a copy of confirmed reservation on a flight out of Japan. You may also be asked to show that you have sufficient funds for travel and living in Japan until the day or your departure.

 (g) 4000 Yen Revenue Stamp (shunyuu inshi 収入印紙), only needed on the second day (can be purchased at any post office)

Re-appointed 3rd Year JETs

Re-appointed 3rd year JETs  will need to bring these to the immigration office:

  (a) Application for Extension of Period of Stay (attached at the bottom of this page)

  (b) Passport

  (c)  Residence Card Residence Card (zairyu ka-do 在留カード)

  (d) Possibly Need:  Japanese Tax Documentation – Explained earlier in this post.

  (e) Reappointment Notification Form (Form A-2) for upcoming year

  (f) One 40mm X 30mm Photograph

  (g) 4000 Yen Revenue Stamp (shunyuu inshi 収入印紙), only needed on the second day (can be purchased at any post office)

Your base school/ contracting organization will fill out the “For Organization” part of the application. It may take a few days for your school/office to fill out.  Please give it to them in advance so they will have enough time to fill it out properly.

**Please keep in mind that you will probably have to go to the immigration office at least twice in order to renew your period of stay. The first time will be to turn in your application and documents, and the second time will be after your application has been processed (you will receive a postcard in the mail notifying you that your application has been processed). Please bring your passport and Residence Card BOTH times.

More immigration details can be found here:

You can also find more information about the Status of Residence and Period of Stay starting on page 69 of the General Information Handbook 2018.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close